Tuesday, June 10, 2014

When IRA Hands You Lemons...


It's been a month since we went to the 59th annual conference of the International Reading Association (IRA) in New Orleans. It was my first time to visit the Big Easy and to attend the IRA conference. I don't want to exaggerate, but this trip truly was a life-altering experience! If I had to sum up this trip with one cliche, it would be, "when life hands you lemons, make lemonade." 

We had planned to fly out of DFW, but after our flight was cancelled, we waited in line for four hours to learn that there were no other flight options. We had to DRIVE the EIGHT HOURS TO New Orleans. Just the thought of an eight hour car trip makes me want to puke. But, it gave my BFFs and me so much time to chat and sing crazy 80's songs at the top of our lungs. "Hit me with your best shot! Fire Away!!" I wouldn't trade that quality time with my best friends for the world!

The first morning of the conference, we had our dog-eared programs marked with the sessions we wanted to attend. Our first choice after the general assembly with featured speaker Jeff Kinney was to see Dr. Tim Rasinski (whom we had seen the evening before while he was eating at a sidewalk cafe.) We were at least 15 minutes early, but we were too late. The session was closed due to crowd size. Instead we walked around the exhibit hall. Having learned our lesson, we wanted to get to our next choice of session super early. It was a session with Penny Kittle, Kelly Galagher, and THE Book Whisperer, Donalyn Miller. (I am a huge stalker admirer/fan of each of them, but I was most excited about finally hearing Donalyn speak in person, and this was the only session she was presenting.) Well, wouldn't you know it....even though we were almost 45 minutes early, the session was already CLOSED. We tried to divert the attention of the IRA bouncers (seriously, they had bouncers!) so we could sneak in, but no luck. I was so disappointed and upset. I had just about decided that my entire IRA experience was ruined. 

Later that evening, the BFFs and I were done putting the finishing touches on our presentation for the next day. It was around 9 pm, and I told the ladies about a gathering of the Nerdy Book Club that I'd seen mentioned on Twitter by Donalyn. We freshened up and walked a block to a hotel bar where we were greeted by none other than Donalyn herself. We had the obligatory photo ops, and then she introduced us to several other people. 

We spent several hours discussing literacy, books, and life in Texas. And, as Donalyn said, "Who else would be sitting at a bar in New Orleans discussing test prep?" Yes, I admit I was a total fan girl that night. This was about as close to literacy royalty as I'd ever get! I was so impressed by Donalyn. She spoke so eloquently about what she had seen in her travels around the country, on literacy policy, and on the trials of parenting. But what impressed me even more was how she made each of us feel welcome and how she valued our opinions. What an absolutely amazing night!

The lemonade I'd made in New Orleans was second to none!
Robin Johnson, Donalyn Miller, Jill Culmo, Micheal Kessner

2 comments:

  1. IRA was certainly an experience compared to other conferences I have attended. I was pleasantly surprised, learned so much, met amazing people, and had the most fun with my BFFs ever! Can't wait to do it again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! And I loved meeting and hanging out with Donalyn Miller!

    ReplyDelete