Thursday, June 12, 2014

Summer 2014 YA Reading Suggestions


Those people who know me know that I'm always reading. I pride myself on trying to be up-to-date with the latest titles, both in adult books and in Young Adult (YA.) Friends and coworkers frequently ask me what I'd recommend for them to read next. Here are a few YA titles I'd like to share for your summer reading enjoyment.

The Naturals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
     I saw this book at the IRA conference. A line on the cover claims that the book is "Criminal Minds for the YA world." SOLD! As soon as we got home, I went to the library and got my hands on it. A group of teenagers with natural abilities in profiling, reading body language, and other skills are in a program grooming them for eventual work with the FBI. Of course they eventually get involved their own situation where they must use their natural talents to save one of their own. I look forward to reading future books in this series!

Counting by 7's by Holly Goldberg Sloan
     Willow is a highly gifted girl who is misunderstood by just about everyone. When tragedy strikes, she must learn to rely on others to survive her grief without losing herself in the process. If you are a fan of Wonder, I think you will definitely enjoy this touching story of what it means to be a family.

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
     Perhaps everyone has heard of (and possibly read) this book by now. It is the love story of two teenage cancer patients who go on a quest to find out more information about their favorite novel. 

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

     People were raving about this book on social media way before we regular folks could get our hands on it. I had seen people describe it as the "Gone Girl for YA." I do think that comparison is somewhat off the mark, but like with GG, the reader is kept constantly guessing about what is going to happen next. If there is one characteristic that I truly crave when reading, it is the ability of the author to completely shock me with plot developments that I couldn't see coming. And boy-howdy did E. Lockhart accomplish that! It was a quick read, and it is one that will stay with me for awhile. I made all of my close friends read it so I could discuss it with someone.

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
     The story of two twins who go off to the same college but to very different experiences. Wren is a huge fan-fiction writer who tries to come to term with a changing relationship with her twin sister and other new relationships at college. I enjoyed this book, but not quite as much as I loved the final book on this list, Eleanor & Park, also by the same author. Nevertheless, I will continue to read anything that new author Rainbow Rowell produces! (She's really fun to follow on Twitter, too!)

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
     E & P is my favorite book that I've read this year. It is the story of two extremely different teens who find themselves sitting together on a seat on the bus. On that bus, an unlikely love develops against all odds. I admire how Rowell wrote the story, alternating between Eleanor and Park's voices, giving the reader valuable in sight into each character. I love the book description that states, "Two misfits. One extraordinary love." 

Other longtime favorites I'd recommend:
     Wonder by R. J. Palacio
     Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper
     The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate
     Because of Winn Dixie by Kate DiCamillo
     Tiger Rising by Kate DiCamillo
     The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo
     

And finally here are some YA books that I'm looking forward to reading this summer:
     The Testing by Joelle Charbonneau (Another dystopian novel)
     If I Stay by Gayle Forman (If you were lying in bed in a coma, would you chose to go to heaven with your parents or stay on earth?)
     The Great Greene Heist by Varian Johnson (reminds me somewhat of an Oceans Eleven for teens)
     Boys of Blur by N. D. Wilson (boys have to run fast during the sugar cane harvest in Florida)
     Flora and Ulysses by Kate DiCamillo (not really sure what it's about, but it's by DiCamillo!)
     The Diary of Anne Frank (I realized that I've never read the entire work, and I want to.)


Happy reading! :)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the suggestions! I have read a few already and can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete