Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2013 Reading Challenge: The Conundrum


For the third year in a row, the website Goodreads.com has encouraged followers to set reading goals. I must admit that this idea has previously left quite a bad taste in my mouth. However, I've very reluctantly decided to join in the fun and set my own goal. But why did I have such turmoil and angst in coming to this decision? Well, it's somewhat complicated, but I now can finally see both sides of my inner argument.

Cons against the challenge....

 It comes down to the age old debate over quality versus quantity. I'd much rather spend my time reading and ruminating over books of great quality than scarfing down average books just to add a few notches to my shelf. As anyone who worked with me during my doctoral studies knows, I am a qualitative researcher, not a quantitative one. I know there's more to data than mere numbers. In writing my dissertation (which was on motivation to read) I learned all about the detriment that programs such as Accelerated Reader have on readers. And that's what this challenge originally reminded me of and why I was so against it.

Pros for the challenge....

First, when people have goals (especially those that are written down and shared with others), they are more likely to work towards achieving those goals. Secondly, it has been shown through research that the more that people read, the better readers they become, the more they will read, the better they will feel about themselves as readers, and the more likely they are to keep reading. It's a cyclical effect that is well documented (see my dissertation for the full literature review). So, why would I be against anything that would encourage people to do more reading?

As I said, I reluctantly agreed to this year's challenge. I set my personal goal at reading 74 books this year. I considered setting my goal at 100 books, but that seemed somewhat too lofty. I considered 50 books (I know I read more than that each year). I split the difference. 75. Well, I was born in 74, and, therefore, liked that number better. If I were still in the classroom, I would meet this goal quite easily as I read at the very least one book a day.

I've already begun reading my first book of the year/challenge: Wonder, by R.J. Palacio. It's a book that has been recommended by our school librarian, teachers, and students alike. Several bloggers that I follow have also sung its praises.

So, whether or not you accepted the challenge, I wish you happy reading in 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment